Saturday, April 7, 2012

a band fit for the Man

Let's talk wedding bands..

not the Adam Sandler Wedding Singer type of bands..

the I-love-you-forever-and-want-everyone-to-see-this-symbol-of-my-eternal-commitment type bands..

the back-off-you-hussy-he's-taken type bands..

(just kidding about that last one... but really.. back off hussy.. he is taken.) :)

I digress...

When I was talking to the amazing Santana at Jewlery by Design, who as we know takes amazing notes, I told her that when and if I did ever get an engagement ring, I wanted to be able to wear it with a simple band. Thankfully, later when the Man worked with the team at JBD to design my ring, they kept this in mind.

Although my halo is a low setting (so as not to stick up and catch on everylittlething) it is made in a way where a thin, simple band will fit perfectly next to it without having to add any type of curve or curley-do to work around the halo.  So with that in mind.. my wedding band was pretty simple to decide on. I just have to wait until Jewelry by Design has their annual sale at Christmas time so I can save even more on the final price of my band.  We're all about saving where we can!

So, with my wedding band pretty much decided-- it was time to do some browsing for the Man.  We clicked around online quite a bit.. and he had a *few* favorites to choose from.
various sources, most found through google searches for tungsten or titanium men's wedding bands
the last three were found on etsy
For a while he gravitated towards the black tungsten band with steel cables, but after seeing some closer images online (and not finding any in stores around our area) he decided to go for something more simple. The options with the braiding and knots had to do with the second part of the wedding-band-plan for the Man (more to come about that.)

Instead of cables, or knot-work, or bold colors-- the Man decided to stick with what he loved... black.
Our next step was to try and find some black rings in local stores.  There were hardly any to be found.  One struck at chord at Kay's Jewelers, but from the Man's perspective the price (around $300) was NOT right.
Two rings from Kay Jeweler's - average price $300ish
Neither were perfect-- he wanted to keep looking. 

And look he did.  On an average weekend. I usually crash around 11:00-12:00am after a long night of blog-stalking and Pinterest-ing.  However, the Man stays up all hours-- saving the galaxy, building new worlds and the like.  One morning, after what I assumed to be an all-night gaming session, the Man tells me he wants to show me some rings he found on amazon. Apparently there is some extra time for ring-hunting between killing reapers and saving the world..

ahem.. galaxy.  Sorry. ;)

Now we had some finalists:
all found via amazon.com search for men's black wedding ring
They were a mix of titanium, ceramic and tungsten.  The Man is gravitating towards tungsten because of the richness of black color compared to the grey-ish tones of "black" titanium rings.  We don't expect him to wear his ring often (not safe for his job) and we both prefer to go for a more affordable solution for his ring as compared to mine which I will wear all the time and will not likely lose or damage like he will with his.

Of the five "finalists", all but one were in stock, in his size, and at the Man's idea price point. Any guesses on which was his favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment